Friday, February 7, 2014

The Best in Horror - 2002



Welcome, as I (Brandon C. Sites: Critic of Modern Day Horror) take you on a journey back to what I thought was the best in horror for the year 2002. When creating these best of lists, I didn't set any perimeters to the amount of films that I would include in each category. 

With that in mind, it is possible for there to be zero (yes, zero!) films in any given category if I felt there was nothing worthy of inclusion. On the other hand, if I felt there were 5 or even 10 films worth including in a certain category, ....well then there is going to be 5 or even 10 films in that category.

My main reason for taking this approach is, because I didn't want to list films as being the best of for the sake of listing films. Also, if I felt that a certain category really stood out in horror for that year, I didn't want to be limited in the amount that I could choose as well.

Looking back at 2002, I saw a lot of technically proficient, but flawed films. In all seriousness, I would actually say that Feardotcom was probably the best made horror film since Bram Stoker's Dracula. Too bad the script was complete and utter garbage. Or there is a film like May, that gave three of its cast members (Bettis, Sisto and especially Faris) breakout roles. Yet, I found the film repulsive. Or you had films like 28 Days Later, The Ring or Signs, that were quite entertaining for most of their running time, but then they end on such a wrong note. I guess the best way to sum it up is, that I saw horror filmmakers that knew how to make a good film, they just don't know how to tell a good story.


So kick back and see whether you agree or disagree with what I thought to be the best in horror for the year 2002.

Picture:

Resident Evil

Director:

Wiliam Malone: Feardotcom

Actor: 

Cillian Murphy: 28 Days Later

Mel Gibson: Signs

Actress: 

Angela Bettis: May
Naomi Watts: The Ring
Naomie Harris: 28 Days Later 
Debbie Rochon: American Nightmare
Kari Wuhrer: Eight Legged Freaks

Supporting Actor:

Jeremy Sisto: May
Joaquin Phoenix: Signs
Brendan Gleeson: 28 Days Later

Supporting Actress: 

Anna Faris: May
Cherry Jones: Signs

Cinematography:

Christian Sebaldt: Feardotcom

Tak Fujimoto: Signs
David Johnson: Resident Evil

Sets / Set Decoration: 

Resident Evil
Blade II
Feardotcom

Effects / Makeup:

Blade II
Feardotcom

Costume Design:

Richard Bridgland: Resident Evil

Sound:

Feardotcom






*Please Note: In any given year, there will always be a Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress category. The addition of any additional categories (example: Cinematography) is based on whether or not there are any horror films released, in any given year, that are worthy of mention in any additional category / categories.

Also, from time to time, these best of lists might be revised to include additional titles. The main reason being that some films might have played in a film festival one year, but didn't find nationwide distribution until years later. A good example is All the Boys Love Mandy Lane. First released in 2006, it didn't play in theaters here in the US till 2013.

-- Agree / Disagree with this review?!? Voice your opinion! Feel free to comment down below --

|Share|| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment