Monday, February 3, 2014

The Best in Horror - 2005


Welcome, as I (Brandon C. Sites: Critic of Modern Day Horror) take you on a journey back to what I thought was the best in horror for the year 2005. When creating these best of lists, I didn't set any perimeters to the amount of films that I would include in each category. 

With that in mind, it is possible for there to be zero (yes, zero!) films in any given category if I felt there was nothing worthy of inclusion. On the other hand, if I felt there were 5 or even 10 films worth including in a certain category, ....well then there is going to be 5 or even 10 films in that category.

My main reason for taking this approach is, because I didn't want to list films as being the best of for the sake of listing films. Also, if I felt that a certain category really stood out in horror for that year, I didn't want to be limited in the amount that I could choose as well.

Looking back at 2005, there were indeed some breakouts - Saw became a franchise, Ellen Page wowed both critics and audiences alike in Hard Candy, Rob Zombie actually showed some promise with The Devil's Rejects, etc. For me personally, the film that really stood out was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. It was the type of film that didn't resort to a bunch of boo scares, but actually gave you something deeper and more considered to think about. It had me questioning the existence of both evil and good in the world and of mental illness as well. It was a thought provoking and intelligent film that invited the viewer to have a conversation with it.

And no, I did not forget about The Descent. While, I thought the film had some admirably scary set pieces, I thought the film's overall pacing to be problematic and the characters, nothing more then caricatures. 

So kick back and see whether you agree or disagree with what I thought to be the best in horror for the year 2005.

Picture:

Saw II
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Director:

Scott Derrickson: The Exorcism of Emily Rose
David Slade: Hard Candy

Actor:

Patrick Wilson: Hard Candy
Tom Wilkinson: The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Tobin Bell: Saw II 

Actress:

Ellen Page: Hard Candy
Jenna Dewan-Tatum: Tamara
Laura Linney: Exorcism of Emily Rose

Supporting Actor:

Bill Mosley: The Devil's Rejects

Supporting Actress: 

Jennifer Carpenter: The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Screenplay (Original or Adaptation):

Paul Harris, Scott Derrickson: The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Score:

Christopher Young: The Exorcism of Emily Rose




*Please Note: In any given year, there will always be a Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress category. The addition of any additional categories (example: Cinematography) is based on whether or not there are any horror films released, in any given year, that are worthy of mention in any additional category / categories.

Also, from time to time, these best of lists might be revised to include additional titles. The main reason being that some films might have played in a film festival one year, but didn't find nationwide distribution until years later. A good example is All the Boys Love Mandy Lane. First released in 2006, it didn't play in theaters here in the US till 2013.

-- Agree / Disagree with this review?!? Voice your opinion! Feel free to comment down below --

 |Share|| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment